(We have added a video tutorial to the end of this article too if you need)
If you are using CloudFlare to manage your DNS, you are going to want to update the Proxy Status for your CNAME to DNS Only. This is accomplished by simply clicking on the orange cloud in the row with your CNAME. The intention is to change the orange cloud and the word "Proxied" to a gray cloud and the words "DNS Only".
So first things first, what exactly is a CNAME record?
CNAME is used for resolving domain to other another domain - as an alias. CNAME records are often used to point to a host or to point the "www" version of the domain to the naked domain. This record is fairly popular for web development platforms like Wix and Squarespace. Since CNAME is an alias record, it can be a bit confusing and also be damaging if not used properly, so we included some information to consider:
1. Log into your domain host
Your domain host is typically where you purchased your domain name (like GoDaddy, Enom, or Name.com).
- Find your domain host if you don’t know who it is.
- Log into your host’s website.
2. Add the CNAME record to your domain’s DNS records
You’ll add the CNAME record to your domain’s DNS records that are stored with your domain host.
To add the record yourself, follow the steps below. See your domain host’s help section for more specific instructions.
- Go to your domain’s DNS records.
- Choose to add a record to your DNS settings, and select CNAME as the record type.
- Once you have selected the record type, add a record for the domain you entered in the admin area of your Book Like A Boss Custom Domain setting on this page: https://bookme.name/account/settings
In the screenshot shown below, the domain name is: bookme.example.com
Whatever domain you entered in this field, is the same domain you will be adding a CNAME record for.
4. Set the Destination or Target field of this record to point to domains.bookme.name
5. Your record should look similar to the following:
Verification CNAME Record
Record type: CNAME
Label/Host field: bookme.example.com (this should be the domain you entered in the admin area of your Book Like A Boss Custom Domain setting)
Time To Live (TTL): 3600 (or leave the default)
Destination/Target field: domains.bookme.name
6. Save your record. CNAME record changes can take up to 24 hours to go into effect, but typically they happen much sooner.
Hope that answers all your questions and if you would like any further assistance please submit a ticket and we will help you get your custom domain up and running!